No group is potentially as misunderstood as the Punks from the good old 70’s. Punk rock may have had its 15 minutes of fame, but we can still take away some important lessons from the loud, fast-moving, and aggressive era of musical creation. Punk is definitely more than just a music genre. It’s a highly influential subculture of both ways of living and ways to express your thoughts.
That’s exactly what we’ve done here at The Megaro, taking the influences from Punk and bringing them to light in our unique hotel. We think there’s more to learn from this era too.
Here is a list of 5 punk values we should all follow:
- INDIVIDUALISM – sometimes the societal pressure to conform can be a little dampening on our individual wants and needs. It never hurt anyone to put themselves first, and that lesson can be attributed to the success of people who ditched what others wanted and started living for themselves.
- FREE THOUGHT – breaking from tradition adds fresh perspectives and ideas into our ever-changing world. Basing our thoughts on logic and reason rather than tradition and conformity only improves the trove of interpretations in our society.
- DO IT YOURSELF (DIY) – you shouldn’t wait around for the right time to come. Waiting for other people to approve your actions or standing still while others move on only causes delay. Like we say at The Megaro, “we are a place of constant (r)evolution, high in colours and bold in flavours, moving to the city’s rhythms and beats of rock.”
- HAVE SOME FUN ALONG THE WAY – how boring would life be if everything were taken seriously? Fun is enjoying life’s little things and doing what makes you happy. Fun also means embracing failures you make along the way and learning from them. You don’t have to be perfect, just focus on getting better. No matter how bad your performance was, leap into the mosh pit while the next group is playing and don’t forget to enjoy the ride. Besides, life would be boring if we were all perfect.
- BE UNAPOLOGETICALLY YOU – this is the most important rule of all. No matter who you are or what you do, it is super important that you stay true to yourself and yourself only. When times get hard, it is integral to use your ingenuity to grind out the hardships and it is this that makes the difference between suffering and success.